Let’s face it, it is bound to happen to all of us at one time or another. You take every precaution to protect your carper in hopes that no accidents or carpet stains will ever occur and compromise its beautiful appearance, and in an instant, a mishap occurs with a sippy cup of Kool-Aid, a drop of blood, or your beloved pet that just could not hold it any longer. There are many ways that you can remove carpet stains, but it is to your advantage to be educated and armed with some tried and true techniques and methods to remove the most common carpet stains that can present you with a larger challenge if they are not treated with the proper care when they occur. So take a deep breath, and that stain will vanish before too long!
DIY carpet stain removal techniques can come in handy when you’re in a rush to remove a carpet stain. Here are some time-saving techniques that can help you remove that stubborn stain from your carpet:
Wine and Cooldrink Stains
Wine and cooldrink can be a culprit for creating horrific carpet stains on all sorts of carpeting, however, with the right treatments, you can remove these carpet stains from even white carpet. Follow the steps below to remove the tough carpet stains caused by the coloured beverages:
- First, always gently blot the stain with a dry white towel. Never rub the stain as this can make it more difficult to remove the carpet stain entirely and could lead to saturation to the carpet pad.
- You can try a mixture of white vinegar, Dawn dish soap, and water in a spray bottle. Use 1/4 cup of white vinegar, 1 tbsp. of Dawn dish soap, and fill with water. Spray area liberally and let soak for 5-10 minutes and then proceed with blotting with a clean, dry towel until stain is removed.
- Some carpet stain removal products can be of great benefit for combating many types of carpet stains. If the stain is a stubborn one, use these as directed and then repeat with the vinegar spritz method until the stain has vanished. (Be sure to test a small area of the carpet to assure there will be no reaction or negative impact from using any of these substances.)
Pet Related Stains
Many pet owners are faced with the challenge of cleaning up a mess (or a special surprise) from their adored pet. This can be frustrating, to say the least. But alas there are methods and substances that can rid the odor acquainted with these types of accidents, and remove the carpet stains entirely.
- First, clean up the initial mess. If there is debris on the carpet, pick it up with gloves and dispose of it. If it is wet, simply use the blot method to soak up the moisture without smearing or rubbing. Blot repeatedly until the carpet is almost dry to the touch and carpet stain is removed.
- In the event the stain has already dried on the carpet fibres, the best way to treat this type of carpet stain is to moisten it. Then apply a carpet stain cleaning product specifically formulated for pet stains.
- To neutralize the odor and spot, you may need to try several different tactics. Try using white vinegar (you may also substitute white vinegar for white wine) to perform this action. Simply mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with a quart of warm water and spritz on the stain. Allow the vinegar spray to soak for several minutes and then proceed with the blot technique until the stain is gone and the spot is dry.
- Another method that can rid pet stains effectively from carpet is to mix a quart of water with stain-fighting laundry detergent in a spray bottle, then spray it on the spot. Allow this mixture to soak for a few minutes, then blot, rinse with warm water, and repeat as necessary.
Coffee carpet stains can leave a carpet looking filthy if not treated properly. This noticeable yellowish-brown tone can easily be mistaken as an ignored pet mess. Follow these simple suggestions to remove coffee carpet stains:
- Dry the spot by blotting with a dry white towel. If there is a substantial amount of spillage, make sure you are not spreading the stain even more by changing clothes as they become saturated with the beverage.
- Try the mixture of vinegar, water, and a gentle, non-bleach detergent first with the spritzer method, rinse, and repeat.
- There are several products that are sold in such stores as Wal-Mart, Target, Walgreen’s, and other chains that sell specific cleaners for this type of carpet stain. Always perform a patch test to assure no damage from chemicals will present themselves. Use as directed and beware some chemicals are harmful to the skin so wear gloves as a precaution when using these stain removing products.
- There are certain types of carpets such as Polypropylene that will respond safely to a carpet stain treatment of water and bleach. You can prepare a mixture of 1/4 cup of bleach to 1 cup and a 1/4 of water in a spray bottle. Soak with the mixture, blot, rinse with warm water, and repeat until the carpet stain disappears.
There is a lot of anxiety associated with blood stains on clothes and carpets, however, the much-dreaded occurrence of this accident is not as bad as it appears. With blood stain removal, you need to treat the stain as promptly as possible. As with all stains, the faster you act, the more effective the carpet stain removal method will be. There are many ways to remove carpet stains that are caused by blood. Rest assured you can be certain that after you perform the following tips, the spot will be removed to the fullest extent. Here are some methods to remove blood carpet stains:
- When treating blood spots on carpets, always use cold water instead of warm or hot water. This is important because blood coagulates with heat, and cold will prevent the blood from permeating into the carpet fibres.
- Fill a spritzer bottle with 2 tsp. of a grease-fighting, liquid dish detergent such as Dawn and cold water, then spray on the stain. Liberally moisten it so that the carpet stain is entirely soaked. Then use a paper towel or a dry white cloth to blot the spot so that the blood is transferred to the cloth. Rinse with cold water and repeat if necessary.
- Bear in mind, removing blood stains may take persistence and a combination of all these steps. After several tries, your carpet should look like new again.
Stimvak Services is on-hand with a highly specialized and professional carpet and upholstery cleaning service. We offer a reliable, professional and highly personalized service, aimed at bringing tired, dirty carpets and upholstery back to life!
We offer dedicated teams of cleaners throughout the Durban region who take personal time and care in treating your home as if it were their own. We aim to treat your carpets and upholstery with the utmost care and the best possible cleaning products and techniques on the market today.